|Clockwise from the top left corner: Beverly Hills Cop II; Lethal Weapon; The Witches of Eastwick; Predator. Center: RoboCop.|
Welcome to the year 1987, a year that had a dogfight for the top box office draw. There were not any true runaway blockbusters and three films fought for the top spot. 1987 did provide some films that becaome pop culture stand-outs, such as Fatal Attraction and Dirty Dancing. The Oscar for Best Picture went to The Last Emperor as well as netting a Best Director honor for Bernardo Bertolucci, while Michael Douglas went home with Best Actor for Wall Street and Cher took home Oscar gold as Best Actress for Moonstruck.
Here now are the top ten domestically-grossing films for 1987, courtesy of boxofficemojo.com:
- Three Men and a Baby (Buena Vista) - $167.8 million
- Fatal Attraction (Paramount) - $156.6 million
- Beverly Hills Cop II (Paramount) - $153.7 million
- Good Morning, Vietnam (Buena Vista) - $123.9 million
- Moonstruck (MGM) - $80.6 million
- The Untouchables (Paramount) - $76.3 million
- The Secret of My Success (Universal) - $67 million
- Stakeout (Buena Vista) - $65.7 million
- Lethal Weapon (WB) - $65.2 million
- The Witches of Eastwick (WB) - $63.8 million
There is another solid week of reviews lined up this week, starting with Predator on 9/7, The Lost Boys on 9/9 and Spaceballs on 9/11. Follow us using the buttons in the right side-bar, as well as subscribe by e-mail because we have a blu-ray giveaway happening and the window closes this week on 9/8. You can find the details here: http://www.retromovienerd.com/2016/09/retro-movie-nerd-retro-tacular-blu-ray.html
Enjoy your Labo(u)r Day and enjoy your week!