|Clockwise from the top left: Batman Returns; Lethal Weapon 3; The Bodyguard; Under Siege. Center: Patriot Games.|
Welcome to 1992 Week here at Retro Movie Nerd. There was a good solid mix of genres that were successful at the box office that year from the Disney animated feature, Aladdin to the family comedy Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. From thrillers such as the controversial Basic Instinct to horror such as Bram Stoker's Dracula. It was a year for sequels with not just Home Alone 2, but also Batman Returns, Lethal Weapon 3, Alien 3 and Malcolm X (that's a joke). However, heads and shoulders above all was the Academy Award-winning Best Picture Unforgiven, which nabbed Best Director for Clint Eastwood and Best Supporting Actor for Gene Hackman.
Here is our look at the top ten domestically grossing films for 1992:
- Aladdin (Buena Vista) - $217.3 million
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Fox) - $173.6 million
- Batman Returns (WB) - $162.8 million
- Lethal Weapon 3 (WB) - $144.7 million
- A Few Good Men (Columbia) - $141.3 million
- Sister Act (Buena Vista) - $139.6 million
- The Bodyguard (WB) - $121.9 million
- Wayne's World (Paramount) - $121.7 million
- Basic Instinct (Tri-Star) - $117.7 million
- A League of Their Own (Sony) - $107.5 million
Our reviews this week will be Batman Returns (6/29), Bram Stoker's Dracula (7/1) and Alien 3 (7/3). Sign up to follow us by e-mail with the box in the right-hand column. Follow us on Twitter (@retromovienerd) and on Facebook (facebook.com/retromovienerd).