|Clockwise from the upper left corner: Independence Day; Twister; The Rock; Mission:Impossible; in the middle, The Nutty Professor.|
The year 1996 saw several significant films come through the pipe. Award favorites were The English Patient, Fargo, Secrets & Lies, Evita, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Jerry Maguire and Sling Blade.
The year really got underway on January 12 when the films Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, Eye for an Eye, Dunston Checks In, Bio-Dome and Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace kicked off 1996 in a rather inauspicious way, It would get much better as the year motored on, including the release of more than a few big budget blockbusters.
Here now are the top 10 grossing films (domestic) for 1996, as our friends at www.boxofficemojo.com have provided:
- Independence Day - $306.2 million
- Twister - $241.7 million
- Mission: Impossible - $181 million
- Jerry Maguire - $154 million
- Ransom - $136.5 million
- 101 Dalmatians - $136.2 million
- The Rock - $134.1 million
- The Nutty Professor - $128.8 million
- The Birdcage - $124.1 million
- A Time to Kill - $108.8 million
1996 week is underway here at Retro Movie Nerd. We'll take a look at the biggest film of the year, Independence Day, with a review on 5/4. Stay tuned!